Monday, January 21, 2013

Give your home a Valentine's Day treat

Last Valentine's Day I made a special dinner and brought out the nice dining room accessories I had - table cloth, table runner, monogrammed paper napkins, fine wine, and the prettiest serving ware I had. The red roses my husband got me were the centerpiece, along with some nice candles to set the mood.

This year I plan on making my home like a romantic retreat. Here's how I plan on doing it.

1. Candles everywhere. Candles are romantic. If I had a fireplace this step would be easy, but I don't. So candles on the dining room table, the kitchen island, the bedroom, the bathroom, etc.

theglitterguide com
theglitterguide.com

2. A pretty dining table, and one themed room.This might require fresh flowers. Usually girls get flowers from their significant other on V-Day, but I'm personally not a fan of cut flowers. I'd much rather get a potted orchid, so I will be making use of my new orchid and other plants. Maybe I'll ask for another flowery plant, who knows. Anyway, by one themed room, I mean one room with Valentine's decorations. Subtle is the best way to go, unless you have kids. I like to do a red or pink color theme, with our Valentine's Day cards, flowers and presents displayed, as well as themed food, such as heart shaped pancakes.

Low-Fat-Chocolate-Chip-Banana-Pancakes

3. Deep clean and cozy it up. This means plush blankets, pillows, rugs, and spots to relax. Possibly breakfast in bed. For me, it simply means cleaning my house so that there's room to relax together. Everyone is happy when the house is clean and organized. So go about this way: deep clean everything while your significant other is out, then make it pretty and organized. (Make a list, too. Change the sheets, scrub the tile, wash the clothes, file papers, do the dishes, dust, etc.) When they come home, I guarantee they'll be in a romantic mood.

houzz 
via Houzz

4. The present. Many people give gifts for Valentine's Day, but one of the nicest gifts I've heard of is doing something the other person has on their to-do list that they don't really want to do. Traditionally, I've seen gift certificates serve this purpose, like massage certificates, but it could be anything from cleaning cat litter to finishing a major project. My present to my husband is going to be finishing our third bedroom and making a space in there for his gaming. He's got a brand new monitor hogging my coffee table, and we've been working on the third bedroom anyway, so this is really a kill-three-birds kind of deal.

avforums 
via AVforums
(the room won't look exactly like this, but you get the idea)

* Side note: If you haven't experienced the joy of getting gift certificates or gift cards, you're missing out. I know a lot of people who refuse to give gift cards, and want a personal touch on their gifts, but many of us struggle with budgeting and finances, so a $50 gift card for gas or groceries, maybe a trip to the bookstore you keep forgetting to go to, the restaurant you love most...priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment