Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Green Up Your Bathroom

My insomnia led me to Alicia Silverstone's health blog last night, and after she talked about installing low-flow toilets to save water, I read this:
"No matter what kind of toilet you have, I have a great tip for you that will save you money and save water! All you have to do is save a 20 oz. water bottle, remove any plastic or paper from the outside of it and then fill it partially with sand, dirt, pebbles or gravel (if you can’t find any of those materials around your house, just fill the bottle partially with water!). Make sure to seal the bottle tightly before placing it in your toilet tank. Then carefully lower the bottle into the tank and put the lid of the toilet back on. Pretty easy, right? HERE is a New York Times article about reducing water in your home. According to this article "A sealed half-gallon water container installed in the tank will save a half gallon of water per flush...a family of five that flushes five times a day each -- the national average -- will save 350 gallons of water each month." That's a lot of water!"

So I went ahead and added a bottle of water to my toilet tank. Not sure how I will know if it is making a difference, but I feel happy.

Here are other ways to green up your bathroom:
use green colored products made from eco-friendly materials.


Green Bijou tile via www.susanjablonmosaics.com

Green tile, source unknown

Green wallpaper, Palmer Weiss Interiors

Green paint, source unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment